Project was opened from a server in read-only mode

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project was opened from a server in read-only mode

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kiran Khanvilkar.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello,

We’ve had several instances where:
      Schedule is created in MS Project 2016
      Published in PWA 2013
      User goes into PWA and goes to make updates to the project schedule – Edit, In Microsoft Project.
      The project opens in read-only mode.

Few things we have done –
      1 – Edits can be made in the browser by all users.
      2 – In most cases, I (as an admin) can get into the schedule, but have to re-save under another name. Sometimes, it is vice versa, where I can’t get in, but the PM can.
      3 – We’ve tried to highlight the project row in PWA and then open it in MS Project for editing (option from the Project tab).
      4 – Thinking through other options, I tried to open the enterprise project through MS Project (versus PWA).

I have step-by-step screen shots of this if it’ll help. At the end of all of this, I was finally able to Check-Out the project via selecting Read/Write when opening the enterprise schedule through MS Project. I would think this is the same process #3 above, but it seems like it is not.

Not sure what the cause is or if how I got to the end result is how I should document a procedure for others when this happens. Then there is the why does this happen. I think it has to do with the publish process getting hung up somewhere, but I’m not sure of that.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kerry

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Hi Kerry,
      It’s a bit difficult to follow the issue(s) from above but I can give you some general statements that might help.
      * Project by default opens the project schedule in view mode unless you specifically open it with an edit option (in PWA or Project)
      * The project schedule is a single user edit that requires check-in and check-out, as you know. PWA and Project actually use separate sessions when editing a project, so you can’t physically open a schedule to edit in MS Project when you already have it opened for edit in PWA (or visa-versa).
      * Saving a project as a new name and then deleting and renaming a project can create issues, especially if you are updating the schedule using timesheets or task sheets. The project may end up with the same name but to Project Server/Online they are completely different.

Hope this helps. I’m happy to go through your screen shots if the above doesn’t help…(you have my email address…:-)

Hope everything is going well…

Kiran Khanvilkar

Sorry Kerry, please ignore my response. It was meant for another issue and not the one you reported.

Thank you,
      Kiran K.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.