Sharing Project Server

Home Forums Discussion Forum Sharing Project Server

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Blaine Bredeman

I work in the I.T. PMO at my institution and use Project Server. Other offices are also looking for a tool to manage projects and want to know if they can also use our setup in Project Server. What is the best way to approach this? Do we just need to set up separate templates and views for the offices whose projects and resources do not intersect with my own? Or perhaps do we need to have a separate instance stood up so they can define their entire setup for themselves?

Tom Sethre
      Participant

The approach you take will first of all depend on your version of Project Server. PS2007, PS2010 and PS2013 have different capabilities in this regard.

We’re using PS2010, and discovered that if we wanted to securely isolate one division’s work from another’s, we’d have to set up and license ($) a separate instance. We could have set up different views for different areas on our one instance, but anybody could access anybody else’s projects if they really wanted to.

I believe that PS 2013 is more flexible and affordable for those that wish to do this.

As it turned out, Project usage in other divisions is not as mature as ours, and the others are getting by just fine with Project Professional.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.