Some nice features but still not loving user-controlled scheduling

Home Forums Discussion Forum Some nice features but still not loving user-controlled scheduling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nguyen Huynh Yen
      Keymaster
      Well, I’ve worked with the beta version since my last post in May (thanks for the Pug!) and discovered I like some of the new features. Team Manager is cool, and it’s nice to have the little red guy telling us as soon as a resource is overallocated (that may be the best thing since multiple undo!)
      I just took the beta exam today, following the  and I think I did fairly well. The  list of objectives provided on the MPUG siste was very helpful.
      So no one can accuse me of contempt prior to investigation. But I still have to say that user-controlled scheduling is a dangerous tool, especially for new users–the ones I’ve been telling all along: “If you’re gonna type in dates in the Gantt View, you might as well use Excel”. It feels like the dumbing down of MS Project for the sake of selling product.
      Sandie Kimball
      Nguyen Huynh Yen
      Keymaster
      I completely agree with your statement concerning user controlled scheduling–I am struggleing to find a need/use for this feature–don’t get me wrong–I love project and the integration with excel but what do you use this for… any one have suggestiions.
      Nguyen Huynh Yen
      Keymaster
      “…but what do you use this for… any one have suggestiions”
      Cheating reality maybe?
      Simon Newton
      Nguyen Huynh Yen
      Keymaster
      Hi all,
      This is a capability that they put into Project that from the "proper Project Management procedures" I can’t stand.  If you are trying to be precise and accurate in your scheduling, then this option is very bad.
      The only cases that I have seen this used "properly" is when a schedule is being built as a proposal and is still in EARLY draft stage.  But, if somebody isn’t coming back and updating the fields with the right type of data, then it is useless.  Also, it makes reporting interesting when you have a date field with "Talk to Bob" written in it.
      Collin Quiring
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.