Sponsor gives me 200 calendar days to complete project but I work 5 days/week

Home Forums Discussion Forum Sponsor gives me 200 calendar days to complete project but I work 5 days/week

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Martin Desrosiers, Canada

Hello to all,
      Here’s my question: I have to plan a project for which the sponsor gives me a delay of 200 calendar days. However, I need to schedule my project based on 5 days a week and take into account a few Holidays. I’ve thought to cheat a bit by planning 28,57 weeks (28,57 x 7 = ± 200 calendar days) but the dates won’t be the real ones and I’ll be all mixed-up with my resources. Any better idea ?
      I thank you very much in advance.
      Martin

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Martin, great question. When you say delay, do you mean cushion, contingency, or additional slack (that’s different than a delay)? Key is not to give it to your team tasks. This time is to cover unknowns, problems, changes, etc. People will spend the time given to them, and you won’t have time when you really need it.

I would suggest setting up contingency at the end of the project or for each phase or specific deliverables. This is your time for if/when your project doesn’t go as planned. If you really want a cool method of applying contingency at a phase level, take a look at the following link: https://www.epmsolutionpartners.com/2012/04/managing-schedule-contingency.html I use it when managing slack is important. Good luck…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.