Sub to Master Project

Home Forums Discussion Forum Sub to Master Project

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

All,

I am looking at implementing a master schedule to encapsulate all sub projects onsite. As this is the first time I have tried this, I was wondering if the group could share any experiences…the project files are stand alone, project server is not used.

1. Do and Don’ts?

2. Should the sub projects be updated through there respective files?

3. Should the sub projects be updated through the master schedule?

Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

Hi the key to master/sub projects is to ensure file names and locations dont change.  This is clearly impractical for most users.

A better way is to create the master program when you need it by using the window/new window command (view, new window in 2010).  To do this open all your schedules, then use the new window command and select the view (from global) you would like to use.  As an aside you can adopt all sorts of custom views to do some funky reporting.

You then format, filter etc until you get the display you want.  You can then save the master.

Next month do a similar process with the updated files.

Enjoy !!

Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

Assuming that you do not have Project Server or are unable to colaborate through Sharepoint, we have found the best first rule is to have the Project files stored in the same folder on a share.  This way everyone has access that needs to for editing or just viewing.  You can limit access by having the files password protected.

You add password protection by selecting the down arrow labeled “Tools” in the Save As box.  Select “General Options” and follow the password entry instructions.  I always check the “Read Only Option” as well – this asks the user if they want to open the file as read only or not when they are opening it.

By utilizing a share folder,r you can update project schedules from either the Master or from the individual files.  I find it a little easier to follow the flow of the interfile links in the Master as I can quickly scroll to a specific task in any of the schedules without having to switch files.

Microsoft recommends no going over 1000 tasks but I have had up to 3700 without too much degradation in performance.  Avoid attaching large word files to tasks or diagrams when you start getting up to these numbers.

Good luck!!

Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

I don’t have Project Server or Sharepoint; I’ve set up master files and sub files as described.

Yet I need help to to link task dependencies (predecessors) across sub-projects.

When I open the Task Information tab and key “ProjectNameTask#” in the ID column, it correctly notes “External Task” in the Type column.  But when I click OK to close the window, the dependency does not appear…

Am I doing something wrong?

Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

They should show up – there are two options called Show External successors and Show External Predecessors.  Make sure they are checked for the project (For Project 2010, they are in the advance options, for Project 2007 they are in the Tools | Options | View tab).  I think they are turned on by default, so this may not be your issue.

Karl Ozaeta
      Keymaster

I have found the best way, for me, to accomplish this is to create the master file witht he sub projects lined.  Go into the master and select the task and link just as you would in a “flat”/individual file.

Do keep in mind though, that strict discipline must be used when using any linking in MSOP as file corruptions can occur if you move or rename files.  It is best if all the files reside on the same share within the same folder.

Cheryl

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.