Summary Resources Being Miscalculated

Home Forums Discussion Forum Summary Resources Being Miscalculated

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      brian smith
      Keymaster

Resources added to my summary bar are being calculated incorrectly.  My project options are all set precisely the same as the other projects I have which calculate correctly.  I have three sub-tasks with the same resource name and only 8 hours each.  It should summarize to 24 hours.  But if I add a resource name to the Summary Task it caculates to 202 regardless of the Resource name.  Any ideas why this behavior is occuring?

brian smith
      Keymaster

Dave, basic rule of Microsoft Project is never to assign resources to summary tasks.  Results will be unpredictable and you will never be able to trust the results.

brian smith
      Keymaster

Larry was correct, don’t apply resources to summary lines – the results will be inconsistent.  However, you probably got the 200+ hours this way:  The summary line has a duration that is the working days from the earliest start date of any task in it’s grouping to the latest finish date of any task in it’s group.  Perhaps the 200+ hour is the loading across this duration?  But then again, maybe not.  Like Larry says – don’t use resources (or dependencies) for summary lines.

Roy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.