Task type – Fixed Work – Changing duration with several resources assigned

Home Forums Discussion Forum Task type – Fixed Work – Changing duration with several resources assigned

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
      MS Project 2016 Professional/Online

Hope you can explain this “bug”

If I set up a task as fixed duration with several resources assigned to it and afterwards changing duration from 1 day to 4 days then the work will be equally distributed over the 4 days for the first resource (As expected) but dumped on day one for all other resources assigned to this task.

Why is that?

Ps: It would be very helpful if it was possible to attach or paste a screen-dump to illustrate my question.

Br Kennet

Sai Prasad
      Participant

Hi Kennet,

This is not a bug. This generally happens because the other resources of that task have non-working day on day one (check the resource calendar or the base calendar tied to these resources) and so the work has to be scheduled from the day two onward.

If this does not help, please send a upload the screenshot or let us know what was the work assigned to each resource when the task had 1 day as its duration.

Regards,
      Sai

Hi Sai,

Sorry, I mean Fixed work and not fixed duration.

How can I upload a screenshot?

BR Kennet

Sai Prasad
      Participant

My answer is same “This generally happens because the other resources of that task have non-working day on day one (check the resource calendar or the base calendar tied to these resources) and so the work has to be scheduled from the day two onward.”

I have Greenshot installed (https://getgreenshot.org/), do a print screen and use Upload to Imgur to get the link to the uploaded image (like this https://i.imgur.com/X76v0FC.png)

Hi Sai,

Its not because the other resources have non-working days.
      Let me explain.

Task: FD – Duration 1 day – 2 resources
      Ress M-T-W-T-F
      KB 3-0-0-0-0
      Gru 5-0-0-0-0

Same task, but duration is changed from 1 to 5 days.
      Ress M-T-W-T-F
      KB 3-0-0-0-0 (Work is NOT distributed – WHY?)
      Gru 1-1-1-1-1 (Work is equally distributed)

It seems like only the highest workload (5 hours in this case) is equally distributed.

Hope this make sense to you.

Br Kennet

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Kennet
      I remember running across this scenario in MS Project 2013 when I was experimenting with load patterns. In those experiments, I found that Project only adjusted the assigned resource that was driving the task completion date/time. And as you’ve noticed, the other resources kept their prior allocation. My assumption was that this is how Project is designed and since it wasn’t causing us any problems, I didn’t pursue it any further.
      So, while I can’t definitively explain why Project works this way, I can say that I have also seen this in 2013.

I don’t know if that helps.

Sai Prasad
      Participant

Daryl is right. Changing the duration affects the work assigned only to the assigned resource driving the task finish date. The workaround is to change assignment finish date of the other resource to task finish date so that Project can spread the work evenly till the finish date.

Hi Daryl and Sai,

Thanks for that clarification.

Br Kennet

Carlos Santos

Hi

I did different way
        Set TASK Fixed Units 1 day duration
        Then Advance tab set to fixed duration
        Assign resources A 3h. and B 5h. Ok. Task maintain 1 day duration
        Now change duration to 5 days, warning reduce work check and all resources were distributed: A 0,6h
        and B 1h.

Regards,
        Carlos

Carlos Santos

Hi Sai and Kennet

I m using PWA, MS Project 2016, version 1803
        Sai
        If you follow the steps:
        Set Task Fixed Units 1 day duration, no resources assigned.
        Then Advance tab set to fixed duration
        Detail View: Assign resources A 3h. and B 5h. Ok. Task maintain 1 day duration
        Now change duration to 5 days, warning: reduce work (check) and all resources were distributed: A 0,6h
        and B 1h.

Have another solution:
        File options set: Fixed Work
        Add resources: A Max units 0,37 (3/8) and B Max units 0,63 (5/8)
        Set task 1 day duration and assign resources A and B
        Change duration to 5 days, warning check reduce work…
        All resources were distributed

My email: cfsantos@netcabo.pt
        Carlos
        (from Portugal)

By the way
        Sai waiting for Linkedin connection?

Kennet Do you have Linkedin account? Are you from Denmark?

Sai Prasad
      Participant

Carlos – I followed your steps yet the 3 hours is not getting distributed across the duration of that assignment. By the way, which version of Project and service pack have you applied.

Hi Carlos,

I didn’t try your way but its true that tasks set up as fixed duration distribute work for all allocated resources

My problem was related to tasks set up as fixed work.

Br Kennet

Sai Prasad
      Participant

Hi Carlos, I use Project 2016 Professional whereas you are using Project Online Click-to-run desktop version, and this could be reason why we see different behavior. I will write to Microsoft to see what they have to say on this, and will help us to confirm if this is broken in Project 2016 Professional.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.