Update Bar-Format for a Task After a Specified Date

Home Forums Discussion Forum Update Bar-Format for a Task After a Specified Date

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Perry

All,

I am having trouble doing something quite simple with Microsoft Project. That is, after a specified date for a specific task, I’d like the task’s bar-format to change. For example, the bar-format for Task 1 changing from solid-green to faded-grey to signify that the intensity of Task 1’s underlying work has changed.

I could create a new task altogether to show this shift, but this would create a new row and is something I’d like to avoid. Thus, does anyone know how I can create this effect in Microsoft Project?

Thank you!

Jigs Gaton

PERRY, I don’t think that’s possible to do with a Gantt bar, but perhaps you can live with a column with a colored icon? If so, see any of these links for info on that: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+add+rag+status+in+ms+project+2013&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo2eLbzrXcAhULcCsKHZB1BNwQ1QIIxQEoBA&biw=1280&bih=653
      Cheers,
      Jigs

Perry

Jigs and Daryl,

Thank you for your prompt responses. To clarify, I am posting an image I’ve uploaded to Imgur as reference. Note how Task 1B’s bar-format changes from solid-green to grey.

Gantt Bar-Format Example

So, you both are saying this effect would not be possible?

Thank you!

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Perry
      If memory serves (I Can’t remember where I found this nugget), the bar formatting applied is based on the first formatting row that matches. So if Row 1 is for an active task to display blue and row 2 is for active tasks with a special code to display red, I believe row 1 takes precedence because the process stops on the first formatting row where a true condition is found.
      You might try moving the row defining your custom format up in the sequence (cut/Paste) so it becomes the first true value found. I’m also assuming you have some unique condition your checking such as a custom field with value in it, or it’s a late task for example.
      Hope that helps

Perry

Seems like the image above did not work. Here is a link: https://imgur.com/a/GAShJ7a

Thomas Boyle

My understanding is slightly different than Darryl’s. When “Show For…Tasks” is satisfied for a given task, then all the satisfied bar styles are layered one atop the other for that task – with the bar style shown last on the list displayed on the TOPMOST layer.

So to get what Perry wants,
      1. Assign a new custom Start (say Start10) to the task – representing the date when the new bar style should take over.
      2. Add a new bar style at the bottom of the list, formatted as needed – From “Start10” to “Task Finish.” It doesn’t strictly need a “Show For…” filter as long as you intend to show the bar for all tasks (and only those tasks) with a value in Start10.

The new bar lays on top of the later part of the normal bar. Done. Good luck, tom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.