Update Progress from another Microsoft Project File

Home Forums Discussion Forum Update Progress from another Microsoft Project File

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kris W

Hi

I have about a dozen interdependent contracts, each providing me with a Project file, which I have collated into a single master project.
      As the individual project programmes do not have the interdependencies with the other contracts within themselves, I have to introduce the dependencies, which I have done through another sub-project file.
      This all works fine.

HOWEVER, when I get the updates for each contract, I cannot see an easy way to import the progress data, and changes in dates & predecessor/successor links and any new activities that may have occurred.
      There only seems to be import options from Excel or csv files etc. & if I go this route I lose any confidence that the predecessor & successor fields will have the right information, as multiple links can exceed 255 characters and get truncated in the export. Also as the links are referenced by ID, which may of also changed between programmes, I cant see how I can check quickly that links have changed or not.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Kris

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Kris, try the Compare Project feature in Microsoft Project and see if that works. It might be in a Project ribbon or search for it in Project 2016. Hope it helps…

Kris W

I had high hopes for the Compare Project feature, but unfortunately with the contract altering the order of the tasks, the report doesn’t cope well with the change in sequence, and that’s before it even looks at the predecessor and successor link IDs

I think I’ll have to restructure my files to match the new files before updating, so all the task IDs align.
      Its the only work around I can think of at the moment

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Too bad. I certainly can’t dig deep into your situation but have you tried working with the PMs managing the independent contracts? I’ve see this before and most contractors are more than welcome to help. Remember you’re the customer. You might want to ask them to flag certain tasks, or even accept a file with your updates each week. Anyway, just trying to think outside the box. Good luck…

Kris W

Unfortunately we are independent of the contracts.
      Just trying to get a programme from some of them is hard work, let alone a programme that reflects true progress and current plans to complete.
      Collaboration is definitely not in their vocabulary

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.