Updating the Finish Date on the Assignment Information Dialog Box does not change the resource assignment units (for a Fixed Work task)

Home Forums Discussion Forum Updating the Finish Date on the Assignment Information Dialog Box does not change the resource assignment units (for a Fixed Work task)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi all,

I hope someone will be able to clarify this for me:

I am using Project to track work and schedule.

Let’s say I have a task (type = Fixed work) that has 8 hours of work and the 1 resource allocated at 100% units and the calendar working time is 8hours per day. Let’s say the resource has spent 8 hours, but still has 4 more hours of work, and that he tells me he will be able to finish it only 2 days from today.

What I do then is update the actual hours with 8, and update the remaining hours with 4. Then, since my resource is 100% allocated, Ms Project calculates that it would finish the work tomorrow. However, I know the resource won’t be able to finish it only the day after. So, what I do is update the Finish Date to after tomorrow for my task using the Assignment Information Dialog Box (Task Usage > Uncollapse the task > Double-click on the resource Name).

In this situation, I would expect to see the Units for my resource automatically get recalculated by Ms Project. However, what I see now, is a resource that is 100% allocated, even though the amount of work scheduled for each day is less than 8 hours.

Anyone could please help clarify why I am seeing such behavior, is it expected? If so, how should I update my project plan in that scenario? Would updating the units instead of Finish date, until I reach the finish date I am expecting be the solution?

Thanks for your help,

Zi.

Hi Zi. The first thing is that you are probably looking at assignment units. Assignment units are the units originally assigned to the resource. The timephased % Allocation will give you allocation % for the individual time ranges (100% for that first day and something smaller for the remaining days).Another option is to use the Resume column. This is a task level field that can move the remaining work to a future date. In that case he would retain the 100% allocation for the 4 remaining hours but it will be done three days later.There are always many options and I don’t want to complicate the situation or assume that one option is better than another. Feel free to respond if you still have questions.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.