Upgrading completely from Office 2013/Visio/Project to Office 2016/Visio/Project

Home Forums Discussion Forum Upgrading completely from Office 2013/Visio/Project to Office 2016/Visio/Project

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jigs Gaton
      Participant

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this upgrade. I have all the Office 2016 Pro standalone installers, so I guess I would just somehow remove all the Office 2013 related items, and then do the 2016 installs, no? Will my settings be retained? Will my add-ons break? Is it really worth the trouble? etc. etc. Thx!

Ps. Also worried about MS Project 2016 seeing my Project 2013 Server and interacting with that. Does that work? ha!

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Jigs, that a good question that is really hard to answer. I can speak to some degree on MS Project but even that isn’t absolute. Factors could depend on what OS you are using, are you or others synchronizing settings online, how are the old versions removed, what add-ins are you using, anything else we don’t know about? MS Project settings “should” prompt you to migrate or keep separate the first time you open MS Project 2016. I would suggest converting one or a few pilot machines/users and testing the solution. In general, Office 2016 should work pretty transparent to Office 2013. I hope my non-answer helps a little.

Jigs Gaton
        Participant

Thx Larry. I always run Windows on a Mac using Parallels, so that gives me a lot of flexibility as far as trying things out using VMs (if one breaks, I can just toss it). The confusing bit this time around is that you can’t install Project 2016 over or side-by-side 2013 (not supported according to microsoft). Project 2016 needs Office 2016! Same goes for Visio, as I’ve read. So I can create a new fresh Windows 10 VM without office installed, and then install Office/Project/Visio 2016 and then what… hope all my settings are magically restored somehow? I then would have to install all the add-ins again. I suppose that’s the safest thing to try. I’ll let you know…
        Jigs

Jigs Gaton
      Participant

Just installed Office 2016 / Project / Visio with no problems, by first downloading and using o15-ctrremove.diagcab to remove all of the 2013 office apps. I then installed all the new 2016 ones. The only settings retained were those associated with my MS account and One Drive (for example, recently opened documents for one drive only). All other settings and add-ins had to be redone.

Overall, I like the update although not much has changed. The multiple timelines in MS Project is a big improvement, and the “Tell me what you want to do” feature in all apps is also a decent improvement. Outside of that… well, not so sure if it’s worth the upgrade.

We recently upgraded to Office 2016 which included Project Pro. So far we haven’t seen any problem except one to which I am looking for answers. Our projects are maintained on Project Server 2013 and there are no issues to edit them with Project Pro 2016. Have to admit that we use the vanilla version without any add-ins. The only issue we have is when it comes time to manage calendars. As soon as you try to edit a calendar, Project Server 2013 request the Project Pro 2013 be available. Didn’t find yet how to circumvent this issue.

I just found a comment that the calendar issue was addressed in the April CU and we are not up to date with these. I guess I should have looked a little bit longer. sorry!

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

No worries Henri. That’s what I remembered but hadn’t had time to validate it for a reply. Let us know if this doesn’t work.

Jigs Gaton
      Participant

Interesting Henri, I’ll have to fire up my development server and give it go. Was the update just for Project Server, or for the other bits: Sharepoint, SQL, Windows Server? Thx!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.