Variable Resource (Human) Costs

Home Forums Discussion Forum Variable Resource (Human) Costs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jay McGovern

My company operates in a semi monthly pay cycle (24 annual periods). This causes a bit of frustration as this makes for 4 possible work periods. 72, 80, 88, or 96 hours. Most personnel are salary, but we bill our customers for costs over 40 hours per week (so personnel can make more than their salary amount if they are required to work more than 40 hours a week). MS Project calculates salaried personnel based on a 40 hour workweek and I need to have it be variable based on the work-hours for a particular period (i.e. $4,000 twice a month with one period being an 80 hour period or $50/hr and one 88 hour period or $44.45/hr). I have tried a few options, but with no sustained success.

If there are any suggestions, I am open to try whatever. Thanks!

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Jay, you could try using Effective Rates for each resource. It’s a bit manual but might work for you. Open each resource and go to the Cost tab. There you can set rates based on time frame. Then using cost rate table A, enter an effective rate for each period. Hope that helps…

Jay McGovern

Larry,

That is the way we started to attack this and it became unsustainable as there are only 25 rows per cost rate table. So after 5 years (using each of the 5 tabs) we would have to go back to cost rate table A and update which would cause all projects over 5 year old to become incorrect. If we had more than 25 rows per cost rate table, this would be a workable solution.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

The only other way I know of is to use an external file for rates and use that with your assignment table for cost reporting. It’s more work up front but solves the problem without a lot of maintenance.

Jay McGovern

That is probably the way that will work, I just an not certain how to associate an Excel workbook to the assignment table and have it pull each used resource and associate the appropriate cost rate for the period when the task occurred.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.