At the Project Management Institute (PMI)® Global Conference in Philadelphia, PA last year, Cornelius Fichtner from The PM Podcast had the opportunity to attend two workshops which addressed the development of A Guide to The Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) — Seventh Edition. Yes, you read that right! Seventh Edition.
The workshop was led by Cynthia Dionisio, Mike Griffiths, and Stephen Townsend. Cyndi and Mike are the co-leads for the new PMBOK® Guide Seventh Edition and Stephen represents PMI. In addition to attending the workshop, Cornelius also got the opportunity to sit down with them and ask specifically what we can expect from the new guide. (His best guess is that it will be published sometime in 2021).
Points discussed are as follows:
- The move from process-based to principles-based standards
- What will happen to the domains and knowledge-areas
- How the next guide will cover the entire delivery spectrum
- Why it will be much shorter than the current edition
- What each member of the team hopes that the seventh edition will be able to achieve
Thanks to Cornelius Fichtner for sharing this information and his podcast interview with the MPUG community.