I saw the webinar “Best Practices for Baselining and Variance Analysis” GREAT.
Could anyone help me on a little issue?
After 1st baseline I have tasks with new durations and new tasks, causing second baseline.
If i set them as explained the tasks with new duration have no variance.
How should i have to set them? Separately in two different baselines?
Carlos, I didn’t see the webinar but the way you are explaining is not what I consider best practice. Some general thoughts:
1. Baseline should always be the most current baseline. Variance, EV calculations, and views all default to using Baseline.
2. Approved changes should update the Baseline using baseline selected tasks. You typically want to rollup changes, but take a close look at or read up on how to handle rollup options.
3. I tend to not baseline added tasks that aren’t a result of an approved change request. Some people will say to baseline but not rollup the baseline data, but I like the visibility of knowing these tasks are by default not budgeted.
4. On defined stage-gates that include a re-estimation, copy the baseline to Baseline1 (or another baseline), and reset Baseline with the now current baseline data.
5. If the project needs to be re-baselined outside of a regular stage-gate, use a baseline that is not used in your standard methodology.
There are variations, but you can see my point. I actually set my original baseline to both Baseline and Baseline1. Baseline1 is always the original baseline. Then set both Baseline and Baseline2 for the next stage-gate. Now Baseline1 is the original and Baseline2 is the stage-gate…etc. The baselines are cleaner that way.
BTW: use the Interim Plan option to copy a baseline to another baseline.
Hope that helps…
Thank you very much for your answer. Really help me.
It s 23:55pm here in Portugal and do not have my computer at this moment.
Tomorrow i wiil inform you all steps that have made.
Also will do as you say, seems very correctly and give feedback.
One of my emails is: email@example.com.
Your explanation was very clear and helfull.
I made several tests and I think now understand how to baseline, following your steps.
Thank you very much.
You are very welcome, good luck!
Sorry to bother you again.
I have one more and last question, if you can explain me, if it is possible.
When I baseline selected tasks, in the box there the option:
1.To all summary tasks
2. From subtasks into selected summary tasks
Which one should i select.
All the experiences I have made did not select anyone.
What is your best advice?
It only really matters when selecting tasks. Project baselines detail tasks and then rolls those detail baselines to summary tasks. If you changed or added specific tasks and selected them to baseline, you would want to reflect those changes in the summaries, which those options provide. You would typically want to roll to all summaries for the scenario we are talking about here. Hope that helps…
Thank you very much.