Verifying what Jeremy wrote, we are installing the June CU and it appears there are fixes in that update to address some causes for this problem. However, as my companies seen in the past, problems seem to go away and re-appear within the MS CU process. For example, when I responded in June, the tool was no longer zero filling actual hours up to the Resume date. When we installed our current CU (not June), the problem returned. Based on discussions with MS resources, they recognize some of the scenarios we’ve identified as bugs but they have also stated that several scenarios are designed to work that way and as a result, those are design changes that would only be implemented in the current releases (365, 2016) if they decide to implement them.