Loading...
Quick Links

Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

Home Forums Discussion Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #255312 Reply
    Kumar
    Guest

    In Below Scenario, i am trying to faced a situation which i could not solve ! Need assistance from you all !
    Step1:
    I have created a task “Paint the wall” and expecting this work to be completed in 24 hrs.
    TaskName: Paint the wall
    Work: 24 hrs
    Task Mode: Auto Schedule.
    Start Date: Jan 7, 2015 (wednesday)

    Step2:
    Here, i have added 3 resources
    Resource1 (with max unit = 50%)
    Resource2 (with max unit = 50%)
    Resource3 (with max unit = 25%)
    By this, i expect, Resource1 to work only 4 hrs per day. Resource2 to work only 4 hrs per day. Resource3 to work only 2 hrs per day.

    Step3:
    In Project Calendar, i have added non-working days for Resource 3 as Jan 8 and Jan 9.

    Step4:
    I assigned all 3 resources against the task “Paint the wall”, but i found that, resources efforts didn’t came as expected !
    i got resource1 with 9.6hrs, resource2 with 9.6hr, resource with 4.8hr and task end date as Jan 13th 2015 !!

    Expectation:
    On Jan 7th, 2015 – i expected all 3 resources work. Hence total hours is 8+8+2 = 18 hrs
    On Jan 8th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 share remaining work 6hrs
    Hence i was expecting this task to be completed by Jan 8th itself. precisely in 1.4 days.

    Assistance over this, would be great appreciated !!

    Kumar – vmkpmk@gmail.com

    #262718 Reply

    Hi Kumar

    Resource1 and Resource2 work 4 hours a day on January 7th because you assigned them to work at 50%.

    The total hours on January 7th is 4+4+2 as expected.

    Kind regards
    Nico Janssen

    #268352 Reply
    Kumar
    Guest

    Nico

    thanks for the reply. Yes u r correct on Jan 7th case. But, still my expectation would be
    Expectation:
    On Jan 7th, 2015 – i expected all 3 resources work. Hence total hours is 4+4+2 = 10 hrs
    On Jan 8th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 will work 4+4 = 8 hrs
    On Jan 9th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 will work 3+3 = 6 hrs
    So i would expect the work to be showing as completed by Jan 9th. But it shows project will complete by Jan 13th only !

    I expect project should complete by Jan 9th itself, with resource 1 using 4+4+3 = 11 hrs, resources2 also using 11 hrs and resource 3 using 2 hours only ! But i am not getting this result.

    Please assist. I am using microsoft project 2013 software.

    Kumar

    #277624 Reply
    Ivan
    Guest

    Kumar,

    Interesting case you got there.

    Apparently MSP divides the workload prior to assigning the schedule. In the resource form or resource usage, you’ll notice that both Resource 1 and 2 will work 9.6 hrs on this project, whereas resource 3 will work 4.8 hrs.
    Therefore R1 and R2 will work on the task on 7th, 8th and 9th (4+4+1.6 hrs) of January. R3 will work on 7th, 12th and 13th (2+2+0.8 hrs) of January. Which is indeed a strange logic.

    As a test I have added another identical task with the same resources on the same starting date. When auto scheduling this task, I’ve noticed MSP now assigns 8 hrs to each resource, even to R3. This next task has an even longer duration, because the 8 hrs workload for R3 take 4 days. This logic is different from the first task, which makes it even more confusing.

    As you cannot influence the scheduling logic (as far as I know) manual changes in the resource usage is your only option. Change the work for Resource 1 and 2 to 11 hrs and for resource 3 to 2 hrs.

    Regards
    Ivan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)
Your information:




58 − = 55