Hopefully a quick question…
I have a set of tasks (say T1-T20) that need to be performed for each of 100+ items … I know i can simply cut/paste 100+ times the task list.. what i want to see is if there is an easier way to do it at same time… as in..
How do i turn
how do i turn it into this
Item 100 +
I would enter the tasks (name only…probably) in Excel and then copy the tasks to Project. You have a lot more options in Excel to do things like merge and copy down that you don’t have in Project.
Hope that helps…
not sure that im following you on that suggestion…
1) The same issues remains, how do i bulk copy past into excel so that I only past once, vs 100+ times
2) With excel option, It on the surface seems to be a worse option than cutting and pasting 100+ times into MS Project, b/c with excel- I loose all the relationship info (i.e. when I build out the initial task list I have the hrs, predecessors, ending relationships, additional column info, etc. By doing the work in excel, on the surface it seems, that i would then have to go into each of the (100*20) tasks and manually enter the info- so ive just created 100+ times more work…
Im assuming that by your suggestion to use excel, that the above issues are not a problem, and im just not seeing how to execute on the suggesion. Can you share your persepctive on specifc steps to take in excel that removes the original issue, as well as prevents the additional complications mentioned above.
thanks again for the info.
Steve, I understand your limitations with this suggestion. The devil is in the details and this may or may not work in your situation. Anyway, some thoughts on your response.
1. Just to be clear on your first point, I meant to enter task information in Excel and then copy from Excel into Project. We’re not copying into Excel.
2. You can enter and copy multiple columns from Excel to Project (hence the word “probably”). Predecessors might be difficult but general column information can copy/paste pretty easily in either Excel or Project.
3. A little more on my general thought is that you can merge the information of two columns in Excel to create sequential task names. For instance, one column contains the task name and another column contains a list of numbers (1, 2, 3, …), then merge them into a third column to give you a numbered list of task names.
Hope that helps. If not I don’t have any other suggestions.