Loading...
Quick Links

MS Project 2007 – Daily actuals changed after adding non-working time

Home Forums Discussion MS Project 2007 – Daily actuals changed after adding non-working time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #4990 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    I work for the State of MN and our entire project team just took a 3 week “vacation” due to the government shutdown.  When we got back to work last week, I went into the project calendar and added the three weeks as non-working time so my schedule would reflect this time-off.  After that non-working time was added something strange happened – the actuals for some assignments changed for all of my resources!  The total work did not change, but the daily values did…but it wasn’t for every task.  All my tasks have a task type of fixed duration and the effort driven box is checked.
    Has this happened to anyone else and any suggestions for how I could prevent this in the future?
    #3735 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    Jennifer,
    This sounds like a bug that has been around Project Server 2007 for some time.  It was fixed after several updates so it shouldn’t be happening anymore if you have all your updates applied.  My memory doesn’t serve me well but I think it was back in late 2010 for the final fix.
    If your updates are applied and this still happened it could still be a corrupt project.  To resolve the issue is to go through a process of (1) getting the correct time from a timesheet report, (2) unchecking the Restrict updates from Project Server checkbox "will need administrator permissions for this", (3) manually correct the project, and (4) check the box again "very important".  This should probably be done in off hours as it opens up modifying actual work for all projects.
    Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me if you need any additional help.  I am also local to MN…:-).
    Larry Christofaro
    Digineer
    #3736 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    Hi Larry,
    I had this issue on the stand-alone desktop version…we are not running Project Server 2007.  Did the bug affect the desktop version as well?
    Thanks,
    Jenny
    #3737 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    Hi ,
    Have you applied SP1 for Project 2010?
    FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm
    Hope this helps – please let us know how you get on 🙂
    Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    #6420 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    Project 2007 was very, very buggy. It’s essential that you apply SP2 and teh latest cumulative update. Trying to fix problems until you update is mostly a waste of time.
    #6428 Reply
    CommunityCommunity
    Keymaster
    Hello Jennifer,
    I opened a support ticket at MS to solve this problem 2 years ago.
    It is a long story, but you can avoid this problem by not defining non-working days in the calendar! My problem was that in case somebody entered actuals on a nonworking day, all reported actuals for this person shifted to the start of the project!
    I know that this problem was 3-fold, and I know that after SP2 an the next hotfix, 2 parts of the problem were solved. However I never found out what the 3 parts were, so knowing that 2 of them were solved was a crazy idea…
    I never used non-working days in calendars anymore in my implementations (in my 2007 period). I worked with a separate “nonworking”-Project File with non-working tasks (with priority 1000 for all my resources to avoid leveling impact) and linked to cost rate table E to keep their actual Cost Zero.
    Regards
    Wim
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: MS Project 2007 – Daily actuals changed after adding non-working time
Your information: