Hi. I’m working with inserted projects in a master “shell” for the first time.
I found that if I copy and rename a file (or even just rename a file), Project will keep the original name or even default back to a much earlier version- that has been deleted. It does not help if I change the location or even build up a brand-new shell.
For example, I made Test 1. I copied and renamed it Test 2. I changed the data in Test 2. When I tried to insert Test 2, it appeared with the name, Test 1 but contained Test 2 data. I’ve moved the locations of both files and tried to insert them into a new project file.
I don’t work in a server environment, and I am thinking there is a “cache” type thing that needs to be cleared but I don’t know where.
I’m not a super experienced scheduler and I’m stuck. Any help would be much appreciated!
Microsoft Project displays the project summary task name of the inserted project.
Though, you have renamed the file from Test1 to Test2, the project summary task is, by default, set to initial name given to the file — that is Test1. So, you have this issue.
To solve this issue,
a) — Project 2007 or Project 2003 – open Test2 and click Tools, Options, View tab and check "Show Project Summary task", — Project 2010 – open Test2, and click Format ribbon, check Project Summary task in Show/Hide section.
b) Double click the project summary task (row 0) and change the name from Test1 to Test2 and save the file.
Unfortunately, in the process of trying to figure out what was going on, I inadvertently created a new issue: one of the projects now duplicates itself when it’s inserted. If I delete the second version, I lose the whole project.
If you’ve manually created a project level summary task, you did this! Project always displays teh builkt in Project Summary tasks, so you need to use it. As you’ve found out it also holds the sub-project title.
It looks like the master project is holding a reference to the created project — looks like an odd issue. I hope you have only subprojects in the master projects – no! individual tasks created in master projects. If yes, recreate a new master project and insert the sub project again. If no, please attach the file — master and sub project – and let me check it out.
FYI. Please ensure you have the service pack installed in Office Project (do a search @ http://support.microsoft.com) — looks like bug, I can’t confirm it.