Project Management Institute (PMI)® Professional Development Units (PDUs):
This Webinar is eligible for 1.5 PMI® PDU in the Technical Category of the Talent Triangle.
Microsoft Project Server 2010, integrates Project Portfolio Management (PPM) with Project and Resource Management. While the PPM feature set allows for both Cost Constraint and Resource Constraint Analysis, for several organization departments, Resource Constraint Analysis seems to be a more useful feature set. However, to achieve the best possible results from the Resource Constraint Analysis, several things need to happen prior and after the Portfolio Selection and Optimization. These actions include both system configuration and also process configuration steps.
While there is a good amount of documentation available in the EPM community, discussing the PPM features, it deals mainly with the “Features”, rather than the “process”. The ‘’process’ approach for setting up and helping the customer to use the Resource Constraint Analysis, is generally left to the EPM consultant’s skill in process design.
The objective of this session is to consider all the neat features of Resource Management, including the PPM Feature Set, and combine them to come up with a process that will be useful as a template for organizations.
Examples of some of the questions this session will try to answer:
- What are the best practices in configuring Generic Resources – When I have multiple Resources of the same position role, do I indicate the capacity as combined total or create one generic resource per actual resource?
- How does the capacity of the Generic Resources play an impact on Portfolio Resource Constraint Analysis?
- How do you use the Project Portfolio Priorities set by the Portfolio Analysis, while performing Resource Leveling?
- How to handle scenarios where Resources wear multiple hats in terms of skill set?
- How does Resource Constraint Analysis help future hiring decisions?
- How does a Resource Manager manage resources in an environment where the same resources do Project and Operational work?
- How does a resource Manager Work with project Manager to commit and make resources available through all stages in a stage-gate model project?
- What are the best practices for managing resource over-allocations?
Prasanna Adavi (Project MVP, PMP, MCTS, MCITP, MCT) is a Senior Enterprise Project Management (EPM) Consultant. He specializes in helping organizations meet their business needs in the areas of Project Management and Portfolio Management. His main focus is on building “business driven solutions” using, MS Project, Project Server and SharePoint Platforms. He is a regular presenter at various Project Server, EPM and SharePoint events across the country, and regularly blogs. He also runs a podcast dedicated to MS Project and Project Server. He was presented the Project MVP (Most Valuable Professional) award by Microsoft in July 2014, for his continued contributions to Microsoft Project Community.
Have you watched this webinar recording? Tell MPUG viewers what you think!