I’ve tried some pivot table options to eliminate that word, “blank,” but nothing seems to work properly.
So I’ve come up with another way to get rid of those blank values in my tables. It requires playing with conditional formatting.
- Select the cells you want to remove that show (blank) text. It could be a single cell, a column, a row, a full sheet or a pivot table.
- On the Home tab, go on Conditional Formatting, and click on New rule…
- Select Format only cells that contain.
- Set that rule type to Cell Value | equal to | and input (blank) text.
- Click on Format…
- On the Number tab, select Custom category, then type three semi-colons: ;;;
I must admit, it’s a kind of magic.
A version of this article first appeared on Jeremy Cottino’s blog.