Here is a more detailed instruction of how to replicate the problem:
1) Create a new blank schedule
2) Make sure that the “Calculate” function in “Options” is set to Automatic or On (if you are using 2010).
3) Create two tasks
4) Make them 1 day durations
5) Link them sequentially (Finish to Start)
6) Put in two dummy resources in each task and if you are using Fixed Units put 100% or if you are using Fixed Duration put 8 hours.
7) Make sure that you dont type in any dates and thereby create a “Start No Earlier than Constraint.” All tasks need to be set to “As Soon As Possible.”
8) Now go back to the second task and make the 8 hours of work for one of your resources zero.
9) You should see the start date of the second task change so that it matches the finish date of the first task. Basically the dates show it as being a two day task but the duration remains as 1 day.
Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. I cant imagine that I’m the only one experiencing it.