Critical Chain Management with MS Project?

Home Forums Discussion Forum Critical Chain Management with MS Project?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dan schaeffer
      Participant

I’m looking for resources about using MS Project to run projects with critical chain management (CCM, preferably one that gives PDUs) but I’m finding it difficult on MPUG.com. Can someone point me toward their favorites?

I’m also unclear on the all of differences between CCM and (CPM + careful resource leveling + contingency) (critical path management). Superficially at least, it appears to me that scheduling CPM using the most optimistic estimates while piling all of the optimistic/pessimistic estimate differences into a single project contingency buffer is equivalent to CCM.

Dale Howard
      Participant

Good question. I did a simple Google search on the subject, and found that the following YouTube video does a pretty good job of explaining the concepts:

I believe that the video reveals you are thinking correctly about how to do critical chain management with Microsoft Project. Hope this helps.

dan schaeffer
        Participant

Thanks Dale,

I did spot that one. I was hoping for something more complete but I’ll have to rely on the CCM vendors I guess.

Do you have any opinions on when CCM is more (or less) appropriate than CPM?

Dale Howard
      Participant

My philosophy is “Use a method that works for you.” I have no opinion on whether CPM is more appropriate than CCM. Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.