Data Pulled for External Dependency

Home Forums Discussion Forum Data Pulled for External Dependency

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Thomas Boyle.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Megan Livingston

Does anyone know how to change what data is pulled into a prooject file for external dependencies. For example, Plan B is dependent on Plan A. When looking at Plan B, only a few fields for the Plan A tasks are pulled in/viewable. How can I change which fields are viewable?

Thanks!

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Interesting question. Sorry, I do know of a way to add information of an external task. Hopefully someone might have a better answer for both of us…

Thomas Boyle

Megan,
      I don’t think there’s a way to “pull in” more fields automatically.

The external/ghost task in Plan B (which reflects the corresponding task in Plan A) is still 100% part of Plan B. I expect its resources and costs need to stay zero to avoid double-counting those of the source task. Its custom fields all have to comply with the restraints of Plan B’s structure (e.g. lookups, roll-ups, formulas, etc.), which don’t necessarily match those of Plan A.

Conceivably you could write some vba code to copy the desired data from the source task (in Plan A) to its corresponding external task (in Plan B). That effort would not be trivial.
      I think the simplest way to view the data is to temporarily collect the interdependent projects into a single linked Master Project. In that structure the external/ghost tasks are all invisible anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.