Driven Preds/Successors Filtered View

Home Forums Discussion Forum Driven Preds/Successors Filtered View

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      nmorris
      Participant

I’m often asked to provide a quick view of driving predecessors/successors for particular (individual) task on a very large program schedule (thousands of lines of schedule). I know how to use the Task Path features to highlight the driving predecessors/successors and using “inspect” features. I’m in search of a way to filter my project file to show just the driving predecessors/successors for a task so that I can quickly copy and paste that information to the team without having to go through and hide lines of schedule manually to show just the lines that I need. Is this possible? Any ideas?

John Riopel
      Participant

I have used the following method successfully for years. 1. Create a milestone that exceeds the last day of any task in the project by at least a week. 2. Create a link for the task that you would like to find the driver for and the newly created milestone. 3. Filter for the critical path

This will display the tasks that are now the critical path to the milestone that you created in step 1. Make sure that the milestone used is set to Must Start On or Must End On, so that the date is constrained.

adam

nice

dan schaeffer
        Participant

That didn’t work for me. Does the inclusion of inactive tasks in the critical path disrupt this approach?

In regards to inactive tasks, the filters pretty much ignore they are inactive. I find the same with supplemental software that I use for metrics analysis such as acumen fuse, or graphic visualization such as one pager. They will show/pull data from the fields contained, and if there are more than a few they can really make a mess of the metrics. The only way to really analyze a schedule with inactive tasks is to save off and delete them for an analysis version that has removed them.

adam

nice.. by CRYPTO WORLD.

Olive

Great

dan schaeffer
      Participant

Must every task in the project have a predecessor for this to work?

dan schaeffer
      Participant

What I’ve done in the past is insert a new column of flags. They’ll all be set to ‘yes’. I will then set the value of every driver or driven task to ‘No’ then filter out the ‘yes’ rows. You might need to hide Summary tasks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.