MS Project 2016

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project 2016

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gerald

Looking for a best practice in terms of file management. I am working on a 5000 line schedule for software development. The schedule is quite old and was handed to me. We are currently working on remodeling 1/3 of the schedule. We are 2 weeks into planning how we will schedule the task.

I currently keep two file that are essentially identical. Meaning I am putting all the new stuff in and changing dates in the What If schedule. Keeping two schedules up to date is becoming time consuming, but the work continues which may effect the What If schedule. What would be a better way to do this?

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Gerald, great question. There are tricks such as active/inactive to identify what-if tasks. Reality is that an active 5000 line project will be difficult whatever you do (in my opinion of course). I might suggest setting a date or better yet a milestone/phase gate to begin a new schedule. Modify the original up to the stage gate, then start a new schedule after that date. That way you are working one schedule for each timeframe. Hope that helps…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.