MS Project Professional 2010 – Shared Resource Pool

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project Professional 2010 – Shared Resource Pool

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Is there a way utilizing a Shared Resource Pool in MS Project 2010 to take an existing project and replace the resources without disturbing the status of the existing tasks?  We are currently not using a resource pool, but switching to one shortly.  We need to replace the resources in current projects midstream with resources from the Shared Resource Pool without affecting the current task status.

John,

No problem; this is easy.

Essentially, you are going to create your resource pool from the resources in existing projects, and then switch each project to use the common resource pool. All of the resources will retain their properties and history.

Here’s an article that describes the process:

office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-a-resource-pool-for-sharing-resources-across-projects-HP045303641.aspx

I tried this with a small project and a new, blank resource pool and it seemed to work just fine. I didn’t try resolving any conflicting resource names as described in the article, though. Perhaps you could try all of this with some test files first just to familiarize yourself with the process and to gain confidence that it will work. And, as always, make backups of your projects, just in case!

Hope this helps

Steve Eagleson, PMP, MCTS

Thanks very much Steve, I tried that and it seems to work for what I need.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.