Unable to Copy/Paste in Project 2010

Home Forums Discussion Forum Unable to Copy/Paste in Project 2010

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Charles Cobb
      Participant

I recently lost the ability to copy and past in and out of Project Pro 2010. I believe it is a size issue – my file is approx 43 meg. I haven’t been able to find a size limitation on the Microsoft site or in my reference material.

When I copy a task, it appears to be processing the request (e.g., cursor spins – thinking), however the paste option is not present when the copy task is complete. I can’t copy/paste into Project, Excel, Word or PowerPoint. After the first copy attempt, any subsequent copy commands result in a very quick screen flicker and the cursor spins for less than a second. Still no paste option available.

If this is a size issue, please let me know. Although I’m dealing with an IMS, I’ll work on a way to go master/sub and separate completed phases from active and future phases. It would be very helpful to know the max file size so I’ll know how many tasks need to be moved.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

I’ve never heard of a file limitation for copying a single task in Project. Can you try something if you haven’t already? Open your project, save as a new name, delete enough tasks to reduce the size a certain percent, and see if you can copy/paste. If you still can’t, continue reducing the size until you can. I’m just trying to confirm that it is the file size that is creating the issue. If a reduced size fixes the problem then that’s the issue and I would consider that more a bug than a limitation (in my humble opinion).

Charles Cobb
      Participant

Larry, thank you for the suggestion. While setting up to run the test you suggested, I copied down a fresh file from PWA. Copy/Paste worked fine with the new file. It’s still over 40 meg, but all seems to work OK. Looks like I have a corruption problem.
      Now i need to determine how many local saves I can do before the file is corrupted. I really need to work locally since it takes over 85 minutes to save to PWA, and almost that long to publish (very painful).

Again, thank you for the suggestion. Hopefully, I can nail down the source of the alleged corruption and will be able to use project the way i need to.

Cheers,
      C3

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Try doing a save for sharing and then reload the project back to Project Server.
      https://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/07/14/tips-and-tricks-work-offline-from-project-server.aspx
      Let me know if that fixes your problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.